Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Word-Count Wednesday: Harry Potter and the 22-year-old Reread

In my constant scouring for things that will inspire me to just freakin' work on the freakin' first-draft manuscripts I'm dying to get done (don't ask where the motivation goes or why it depletes, I have no idea either) I turn, as I have so many times before, to Harry.


I've been meaning to read the British version of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Philosopher's Stone, in the good 'ol UK) to see how different it is from the American version. The differences? Simply some s's where z's would be and different terms for things. Nothing major.

What I did notice, however, is that Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone is absolutely hilarious. I'm laughing out loud.

Be a third-person narrator with sarcasm, genius! Refreshing! It gives us a lot of endearing incite into the most loved as well as the most vile characters, making all of them lovable as a whole! Witchcraft, I tell you. So smart. Darn you Jo Rowling.

Why they didn't incorporate more of the subtle genius comedy into the movies, I'll never know. Because just like the books themselves, Daniel Radcliffe is also hilarious! He would have executed the jokes perfectly!




Lesson learned: a story can be epic and serious, without taking itself too seriously. It shouldn't take itself too seriously, actually, because that doesn't usually work. So there.

1 comment:

  1. I love the Harry Potter books - they never get old! Great post and blog!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete